Not taking my own advice from #18 haha. 20th birthday throwback | View on Instagram
This post was inspired by Gala Darling’s article here. There is a another similar list here which I found when searching for Gala’s post so that I could link it. I will probably make a similar list next season and I’ll try to keep them as unisex as possible.
Disclaimer: I do not own the remainder of the images that I’ve included in this post.
- Wear hats as often as you can, because hats are never restricted to cold weather seasons. Take selfies.
- Fill an ice cube tray with various cordials and freeze. When you make some cordial later, add one of the ice cubes to your drink.
- Sit outside in the shade with a notebook and write whatever comes to mind. Anything and everything. Keep the notebook or page you write in/on and read it next season.
- Make your bed in full. Lie back with a bottle of chilled water (and a straw if you want) with a fan on and directed at you, and think about oceans. Vast, blue, cold oceans. Serene and beautiful. If you are terrified by oceans then don’t do this. Just think of something else. Like dirt. Or eggshells.
- Have a Wes Anderson film marathon with your friends and eat cookies and cream ice cream.
- Make sweet and savoury breakfast foods for your dinner and watch sitcoms while you eat. Seinfeld and cereal. Frasier and scrambled eggs. (I originally had the first two reversed, but obviously scrambled eggs and Frasier had to go together.) Friends and pancakes. The Nanny and omelettes. The Cosby Show and scones with jam and cream.
- Start an ant farm.
- Wake up early and watch the sunrise. Make some tea or hot chocolate – whatever you like. Sip slowly, and look out the window. Go outside with your drink and look at the sky.
- Invite friends over to your place and play music out loud. Dance with them. Have fun. Get a video camera or phone and timer set up to take pics/vids.
- Make a blueberry smoothie.
- Look around your house (or other residence) for others’ lost change and collect it all.
- Go on YouTube and learn how to Moonwalk. Keep practicing even if you can’t master it.
- Go to a bookstore with some friends (or siblings/cousins) and look at books about subjects you don’t usually discuss. Start discussing them.
Leave without buying anything.
- Make a pasta bake. Eat it for dinner, accompanied with pink grapefruit flavoured mineral water.
I’ve been having this drink a lot lately.
- Learn how to fold napkins in a fancy way. It might come in handy if you like to throw dinner parties.
- Go to a cafe with some close friends. If you are a frequenter of particular cafes then choose a different one, bonus if it is not a franchise like Gloria Jean’s, Michel’s Patisserie or Starbucks. Sit outdoors.
- Make origami from newspaper. Find tutorials on YouTube!
- Try not to wear anything floral for the entire season. This one may be easier for dudes than chicks… Still – no breaking out the Hawaiian shirts. So this is a ‘thing NOT to do during Spring’ which still is a thing to do.
The watermark on this The Devil Wears Prada gif should be credit enough. I’ve been meaning to read that novel by Bret Easton Ellis actually…
- Read Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis.
- Read Less Than Zero before Imperial Bedrooms. And also watch the film with the adorable teenaged Robert Downey Jr in it. I swear I almost cried during it. What a heart-wrenching film. In high school I made my friend Aashna watch it too, and she loved it.
- Press flowers between the pages of a book and use them to make greeting cards.
- Call or text a friend with puns. This might be something you already do often, but do it again in order to achieve another item on this list.
- Recreate a famous painting using just red pencils, paint, markers or crayons. Sign your name on it in blue.
Saturn Devouring his Son by Fransceso de Goya
- Go to the beach with friends. Stay for a long time. Eat, talk, listen to music, take funny videos of you all kicking sand and making faces. (I have done this never, and would really like to. I actually may have the opportunity to do so soon…)
- Suggest something I might try during Spring in the comments. 🙂 (You may do this in other seasons also like most of the things on this list.)