I opened up a can of Trident coconut milk today and it smelt really sweet. I decided to taste it and found that it was much sweeter than any other coconut milk brand I’d ever used. Thankfully I had another 400 ml can of coconut milk of a different brand, so the beef red curry I had already started to prepare was saved.
I put away the first can in the fridge planning to make a drink and voila. Coconut hot chocolate. I wanted to try a chilled coconut white chocolate drink with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes, but I was lacking the necessary ingredients. 😦 Another time I guess.
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs sugar
- 4 heaped tbs of your preferred drinking chocolate powder (I used Alpen Blend by Nestle)
- Pour can of coconut milk into a pot and place over a medium heat on stove.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir, and add the regular milk.
- When the concoction begins to bubble add the vanilla extract and sweeten with the sugar. Add a bit and then taste it, add more if you want it sweeter.
- Turn off stove and serve immediately.
- Yield = 2 – 3 serves.
- You don’t have to add regular milk, but I did because I was sure it wouldn’t affect the taste and wanted a bit more to share with my brother and father.
- You can omit the vanilla extract without detracting from the taste, but I think it makes the drink smell nicer.